Monday, September 7, 2009

1722

A passage from the french novel Giphantie written in 1772 :

"Some paces from the noisy globe, the earth is hollowed, and there appears a descent of forty or fifty steps of turf; at the foot of which there is a beaten subterraneaous path. We went in; and my guide, after leading me through several dark turnings, brought me at last to the light again. 
He conducted me into a hall of middling size, and not much adorned, where I was struck with a sight that raised my astonishment. I saw, out of a window, a sea which seemed to me to be about a quarter of a mile distant. The air, full of clouds, transmitted only pale light which forebodes a storm: the raging sea ran mountains high, and the shore was whitened with the foam of the billows which broke on the beach. 
By what miracle (said I to myself) has the air, serene a moment ago, been so suddenly obscured? By what miracle do I see the ocean in the center of Africa? Upon saying these words, I hastily ran out of the window, I knocked it against something that felt like a wall. Stunned with the blow, and still more with so many mysteries, I drew back a few paces. 
Thy hurry (said the prefect) occasions thy mistake. That window, that vast horizon, those thick clouds, that raging sea, are all but a picture." 

No comments:

Post a Comment